Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween and ND vs. Pitt Weekend

I have to warn you, this post will probably be really random. I just feel like so much has happened since I last posted. Daniel is more and more mobile each day. Each time he moves into a new part of the house under his own will, I'm amazed. I'm sure this is nothing big to most folks, but, as a new parent, you just get so accustomed to your child being in the same place when you leave a room and return that the possibility that they might actually decide to leave a room one day and actually do it is so far from your mind. Then when it happens, you are in shock. Weeks later, you are still in shock.



Daniel peeking at me from his hideout.

So we headed to ND on Friday. Me at 5:20 am. Matt, Daniel, and Dan at 11:30 am. I met with some engineers over lunch and spent the rest of my day shopping and hanging out on the couch. I was daydreaming on the way in and missed the exit, so when I drove by Macy's on my way back into town, I stopped. It was wonderful to shop without worrying about a stroller or diapers or naps or feeding someone other than myself. After my lunch meeting, I headed to the grocery store. I really enjoy grocery shopping alone. I have time to think about meals rather than just grabbing stuff and leaving.

Matt, Daniel, Dan, and my parents all arrived around 5 or 6 pm. We were going to go out to eat early, but it was so beautiful outside that we just hung out on the patio and enjoyed the wonderful weather. The first ND game my parents ever came to was the first weekend of November. It was freezing for that game, you know less than 32 degrees. This weekend it was in the 50s and 60s. Mom and I stayed home with Daniel while the men went to CJ's for burgers. Daniel decided that he was done when the sun went down. This weekend he slept the best he has ever slept while we were out of town. We put the pack'n'play in the walk-in closet where it was dark and quiet, and he was a happy camper.


Daniel and Grampie on the patio

I wonder what they are talking about?

Of course he had to wear the shamrock sleeper!

Since Daniel did not really get to enjoy trick'or'treat this year, we had him in his sock monkey outfit for tailgating. He was a great sport for about two hours, and then he wanted his freedom back. This kid likes to play and has a limited tolerance for chatting with adults in a civilized manner. Mom and I took him back to the condo and he fussed the whole way home. Once we put him on the floor with his toys, he was thrilled. Mom watched Daniel while I went to the game! I came home to relieve her at the thrid quarter so that she could see the band and go to mass with Dad. Luckily she found a nice enough usher to let her back in with my ticket. The first one rejected her request! It was only after I left the game that I realized that my Dad did not have a cell phone and we had no back up plan. Also, the halftime show was fantastic. They started with Mama Mia! and finished with Livin' on a Prayer and a guest appearance from Jon bon Jovi himself! (Katie, I called you for Mama Mia! I just remembered that you don't have your phone.)

So the weekend was great, and Daniel was great too. He made it the whole way home (4.5 hours of driving) with less than 5 minutes of fussing. Then today he decided to have a new bunch of firsts. He crawled on his hands and knees! We got a full hand-knee-hand-knee. He also pulled himself up to standing on the Exersaucer without assistance. Doesn't he look proud? I was so afraid that he was going to let go with one hand, swing himself to the floor, and smack his head while doing it. At least Matt was around to take the picture so that I could play guard.

Look at me, I'm standing!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I think the last picture of him standing in his frog outfit is my favorite!
Loved spending time together this weekend! MOM

Johanna said...

Yea! for Daniel and his new tricks! He'll keep you on your toes now Rach!

Love,
Jo