Thursday, October 9, 2008

Thoughts on Dairy Farms and Breastfeeding

After spending so much time at dairy farms recently, I've learned a bit about the business that is milking cows. Even though my project is a manure project, I've picked up a bit about the milk production as well. Basically it is all about cow comfort. They will do anything to keep these cows happy, well not anything, but many large expensive projects. They also very closely manage what the cows eat.

I never thought anything too much about all this before I had Daniel, but now that I'm breastfeeding, I think about it in an entirely new way. My only conclusion is that I need to be more comfortable for Daniel's sake, really. In fact, all breastfeeding moms should be more comfortable. We should all get new bedding and have optimal diets. Maybe we should add some brewer's yeast to our diets for the phosphorus and protein.

All this combined with the latest PETA request is really disturbing, http://www.peta.org/mc/NewsItem.asp?id=11993. I really can't get the image of the work it would take to do this out of my head. Also, I think this would be mighty expensive ice cream.

No comments: