Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Dragonflys

So, Matt and I chose a dragonfly theme for the nursery. I've always been a fan of dragonflies, but Matt took a little convincing that dragonflies would be suitable for the nursery. We did some research into the symbolism of dragonflies. They get a really bad rap in European culture and have meanings like 'sinister' and 'ear cutter.' Thankfully there are much nicer meanings in Asian and Native American history. In Native American cultures they symbolize swiftness, activity, pure water, and renewal. In Japanese culture they symbolize courage, strength, and happiness. Since lots of people think we are Asian, I can live with the Japanese meanings. Thinking about a courageous, strong, and happy baby makes me smile.

I purchased a valance to match the baby bedding. Hopefully, I'll get them up within the next few days. The massive amount of green walls is wearing on me a bit. I've also been instructed to not purchase any more dragonfly paraphernalia. I can live with that since there is not much left at JC Penny's that matches the set. I have a feeling more dragonflies might appear someday.

The only other big project left for the nursery is the closet. It's pretty small and over the stairs. We are thinking about having a closet system installed. I did Matt's closet myself, but I think this one might need an expert. The tricky space combined with my growing belly wouldn't be a good home improvement combination.

This morning as I was lying in bed listening to the alarm, I noticed a new baby sensation, hiccups. I've found myself waiting to feel the baby start moving around before getting out of bed, and this morning it was hiccups instead of little kicks. They felt like little bumps occurring rhythmically, but you can't feel them from the outside.

Off to get my haircut!

2 comments:

Matt said...

I suggest coordinating Matt's wardrobe with the baby room:

http://www.butterflybuzz.com/site/561023/product/AP1054

rachnd1213 said...

Sweet! Too bad they don't make one in green ;)