Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Definition of Dammit

On Monday I received a panicked call from Matt as he was on the way to school with the boys, "Rachel, Daniel just said 'dammit'. What do I do?" Not knowing the situation or the use, I thought we should just see how it evolved from that moment. Well, tonight Daniel tried out the word again. He just said it as we were walking up the stairs to go to bed. So Matt and I decided to have a little chat with Daniel unrehearsed. I asked Daniel if he knew what that word meant. He thought about it for a while and responded, "When you forget something, you say 'Oh Dammit' Then you turn around and you go back and get it. Then you say, 'Here it is.'" Matt remembered all the times that happened in Daniel's presence and in a moment of irony had to restrain himself from saying, "Oh, dammit." There was no debate over where Daniel picked up that nice token phrase. We told him that it's much better to say, "Oh darn," or "Oh gosh, oh gee." He seemed convinced. Hopefully, we won't be hearing from the teacher about this one.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Kids say the darndest things!

TJ said...

Reminds me of the time I was driving up to a light that turned red. Rachel in the back seat said, "Oh F... ", not Heavenly Father.

I corrected her mispronunciation immediately. "Oh truck Rachel Oh truck!"

Perkins Rd at Seigen, when the light turned red. Rachel was three.

I think I aged from something like 13 to 26 in those few minutes.

rachnd1213 said...

Is that the joy of grandparenting? Seeing your kids get a little payback ;)