Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Wrong Side of the Bed and Tantrums

Most of the time I think I'm better off being an adult than a toddler, but sometimes I think they have it made. For instance when Daniel woke up this morning, it was pretty obvious that he woke up on the wrong side of the bed, and we would probably all be better off if he just went back down and tried again in an hour or so. He was not particularly grumpy or anything like that, he was just off. He was quite rambunctous and was not willing to concentrate for any given activity for more than 2 minutes. Normally we would get at least 5 minutes of concentration. So I decided that he needed to go down for his morning nap at 8 rather than 9. If I was having a bad day, I would love to be able to just go down for a nap and try again in a few hours.

One of the other reasons I thought he was having a bad day was because he threw a few tantrums. He has been doing this for a few weeks. It makes me nervous about things to come, but for now it's all I can do to not laugh when he does it. The reason I want to laugh if that he is super dramatic when he does it. For instance, if I have to take some contraband from him, he gets rather upset, and on occasion he will throw himself on the floor face-down and cry. This lasts for about 5 seconds before he gets up and moves on to the next thing. I guess I always thought that people didn't actually throw themselves on the floor when faced with emotional distress. Maybe people don't, but toddlers do. I'm sure that one day, I'll get fed up with the tantrums, but for now, I'm just ignoring them and moving on.

1 comment:

Alisha said...

Christian's already starting the mini-tantrums. He's only 10 months old! I'm worried about the future.

Hope you're feeling well!