Tuesday, January 13, 2009

9 Months Old

Daniel had his 9-month checkup last week. He is doing great. I really love our doctor because she is thoughtful and kind and really low key. I think a high-strung doctor could make me a little crazier than I already am. That would be trouble.

All the sudden Daniel seems very big and grown up (in a way) to me. Maybe this is brought on by the fact that he can entertain himself with his toys without putting himself in danger for a few minutes. It really is amazing how quickly they develop into a little person. He is quite curious and always on the go. Some of his favorite acts of mischief include:

  • Grabbing the salad dressing from the bottom shelf of the refrigerator. Who knew that babies love Balsamic Vinigrette? Either that or he is hungry all the time and sees the bottle and thinks food.
  • Any electrical outlet or electrical cord.
  • Cabinets and all the stuff in them. I'm amazed and terrified at what he can lift. Our pots are heavy for me to lift sometimes.
  • He enjoys devouring books and papers(literally). I'm starting to wonder if something is missing from his diet.

Tonight before he went to bed, he was having a little quiet playtime, and I noticed that he seemed to be getting a bit frusterated. He was playing with his shopping cart and really wanted to hold two of the food items, green peas and yellow cookies for those of you in the know on the Fisher Price shopping cart, in one hand. He would hold one of them, then use his other hand to help him grab the other one with one finger. I'm thinking that he wanted to do this because he still needs one hand to maintain balance and mobility up and down but really wanted to have two toys with him. Anyway, call me dense, but I never thought of holding two things as an acquired skill. Clearly it is. He was so proud when he got both in one hand. Then he put the red strawberries in his hand as well. He was super excited until his system overloaded and he fell on the shopping cart. Three things in one hand, standing, and celebrating are a bit too much for Daniel and led to a few of tears. Soon after this accomplishment he went to bed.

1 comment:

Alisha said...

What a cute story...! I've been reading your blog since Daniel was my son's age now (5 months), and I can't believe how big he is already. He will be a year so very soon! Time flies.

Are you still bf? What's a normal bf schedule at 9 months? I know some babes start to wean themselves at this point...

Thanks for the great blog!