Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Kindergarten

Kindergarten has been an exciting time for all of us. It seems like Daniel is doing well, but I'm not really sure. He doesn't share so much. My first impression is that he is meticulously cataloging everything about his class and school and doesn't have enough energy left to tell us about it at the end of the day. His favorite subjects are gym and music. He comes home singing new songs with hand motions after each music class. After gym class, I find him doing switchbacks on his bed telling me that he is exercising because exercise is healthy and makes you live longer. I also get a report of the number of recesses they have each day. Other than that, I have to ask carefully crafted questions to glean morsels of information about anything else going on. I remember this same feeling for the time between Daniel entering the preschool classroom at their daycare and Christopher. I learned more in the first two weeks Christopher was in the class than I had in the 20 months previously Daniel had been there. I was blissfully unaware that I needed to know anything at that time, but now, I'm keenly interested in what is going on in Daniel's class.
 
One of the things that raises a bit of concern in my mind is the fact that Daniel usually has a nearly full lunchbox when he gets picked up. He's maybe eaten half a sandwich and his yogurt. I guess he's not very hungry? We also signed him up for milk everyday. It's the most economical thing I've come across yet, $20 for the entire school year! However, Daniel's sense of economy with the milk is a little concerning. He likes to bring home the leftovers in his lunchbox. I'm sure you can imagine what an opened milk carton does to a lunchbox by the time it gets home.
 
Daniel was described by his aunt when he was only a couple months old as slow to warm up. I would say that's still holding true. It's difficult to say exactly how long slow takes.
 




No comments: