Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Science of Dinnertime

The minutes leading up to dinner are usually quite chaotic at my house. It usually involves me trying to put something together quickly, Daniel crying because I won't let him have snacks from the pantry, and Christopher crying just because everyone else is stressed out, and Matt just getting home from work. I probably need to learn more make-ahead recipes because whenever dinner finally gets to the table, it's rarely hot. Well tonight I thought I was really smart, so when dinner was going to be ready in 20 minutes, I sent Daniel and Matt out for a stroll to drop off the Easter eggs for our nieghborhood hunt this weekend. I thought I had the perfect plan. Daniel would be occupied right up until dinner was served, and they would get an errand done for me in the meantime. Well, I finished cooking dinner and had half of it on the plates, but Matt and Daniel weren't back. I peeked out the window to find them two doors down chatting with the neighbors. I went out and called them home for dinner. That was 20 minutes ago, and they are still not here. They are not at the neighbors either, and our asparagus is now mush and the sweet potatoes are cold. This is what happens when I try to think :)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

The best laid plans......

Peggy said...

In the song from Maurice Chevalier ("Gigi" - you are way too young to know this..he was my fave as a "Little Girl").....

"AH!..I remember it well......."