Monday, November 2, 2009

Games and Daylight Savings Time

Daniel and I started playing a simple game yesterday. Now keep in mind that he is 19 months old when I describe the game. It goes something like this: I sit on the floor in the living room with my legs outstreched. He runs to the other side of the room. I count to three and open my legs. He runs into my arms and screams with glee. We then repeat this for about 20 minutes. I did not realize what a hit this game was until he asked to play the game again tonight. He said, "Game!" and motioned toward the living room. When I acknowledged his request and said we could play he started trying to jump and made a bunch of excited noises. He is getting really close to jumping, but can't quite get his feet off the ground enough. He puts so much energy into jumping that often he ends up falling down. We are still trying to get the momentum going in the up direction. Maybe we will have to get some of the game on video.

Daylight savings time is a special treat for parents of toddlers. Unfortunately, toddlers don't understand the numbers on the clock. Over the past week, we had been moving Daniel's schedule back since he was waking up at 4:45 am! We had shifted things enough that he was waking up closer to 6 am. That is until the clocks arbitrarily switched on Sunday. Now we get to go through the whole process again. I feel like we are doing sleep training for an infant again. Thankfully, he seems to be fairly receptive to our efforts. Now if I could only get my body to allow me to sleep until 6 am without waking up in anticipation for him to wake up, I'll be happy.

1 comment:

Johanna said...

Daylight savings time is most certainly the Devil's doing... I hope you have better luck than we've had the last three days...