Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Conversations with Christopher

More than once last week, this was my first conversation with Christopher. Me, "Good Morning Christopher!"
Christopher, "I want Daddy to open my door. I have dreams Mommy."
Me, "I'm sorry Daddy didn't open your door today. What did you dream about?"
Christopher, "Babies. I dream about babies, Mommy."


Then today on the way home from school Christopher announces:
"Mommy, I want to go to the dentist. Yes, I go to the dentist first. I go to the doctor, too, Mommy."
Me, "Really, Christopher, you want to go to the dentist and the doctor."
"Yes, Mommy, I go to the dentist first, and the doctor, too, Mommy."
"Why do you want to go to the dentist?"
"My mouth hurts Mommy. I hurt my mouth on the big friends side, Mommy." (there was no apparent injury)

If you have not noticed, Christopher says most things twice and punctuates almost every sentence with the name of the person he is addressing.

Not all conversations are this pleasant. For instance, yesterday there was a brief break in the action, so I hopped up in the tree to remove the Christmas lights. It was somewhat timely as the tree trimmers were working in the backyard at the time and they needed to get the tree with lights as well. Anyway, the boys decided to come watch, so we got all bundled up, but Daniel did not want to wear his mittens. We were only going to be outside for a few minutes, so I figured the consequences would become obvious to him rather quickly. For several minutes the boys were pushing and yelling at each other on the porch and creating a rather noisy scene, but they were not getting too overly adjitated. Well, when I finished I asked them what they were arguing about and Christopher announced that, "Daniel needs his mittens on," and Daniel whined that, "Christopher was telling me to put my mittens on." Seriously, Daniel got totally worked up because Christohper told him to put his mittens on. Christopher seems to have a good grasp on how to get under Daniel's skin. I see some interesting conversations coming my way.

No comments: