Friday, June 8, 2012

Gardening aka Snacking

This post is for Grampie. He's the one who helped plant our garden over Easter last year, and inspired me to continue the tradition this year. I know he would have loved to hear Daniel calling Chrisotpher over to the garden this afternoon saying, "Christohper come inside the garden. It's so nice here in the dirt."

Our garden is doing great. The boys and I got out there today to do some weeding. It must have been exactly what Daniel needed. I think he stayed in there for 45 minutes. Yes, Daniel actually stayed in that fenced area for a long time! I was disheartened to see my peas topple down over the supports today. They had gotten very tall in the past week and had grown over my head! I actually put up a trellis this year, and boy did they climb. I just hope that the stalks did not break when they crashed. I put in some tree branches for support, but I'll be suprised if they do much. Then the peas were attacked by a four-year-old hankering for peas. All of the peas were stripped from the vines and consumed on site by Daniel. Honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. At least he is eating something healthy.I just hope the vines are not too bruised for all the flowers that have blossomed to turn into peas, and I know he does too.

Christopher's garden snack of choice are the carrots. They acidentally pulled some young ones up when they were weeding and they ran all around the house to chase me down to show me the two carrots they found in the garden. They were so proud. The other snack of the day was dill. The previous owners had it planted, and every year we have several dill volunteers. Not so bad when you grow cucumbers. I told the boys they could eat it if they wanted to, so they just started eating it like carrots. They would never eat anything with dill if it were served for dinner. Maybe we will have to relocate dinner to the garden? 






Christopher is the brave soul who eats carrots straight from the ground.

Lettuce ready to eat!

Carrots on their way or if you are my boys, ready to eat. Natural baby carrots ;)

Trying to find a few more peas.

No comments: